“Get your kicks on Route 66”. Bobby Troup knew what he was talking about when it comes to Route 66 with his song that was later sung by the likes of Chuck Berry and the Rolling Stones! There’s no other highway in the world that’s as famous as Route 66 – the Mother Road – and if you’re planning a trip to the USA, why not include a self-drive tour along the highway itself.
Here are some of our top 10 reasons why you should head to Route 66:
1. It stretches across eight US states from California to Illinois, a total of 2,451 miles.
2. Its full of neon signs, classic diners and retro motels that will have you feeling as though you have stepped back to the mid 1900s.
3. The history of walking. The Native Americans walked this path in the 1830s, following the Trail of Tears when they were removed from their land; and in the 1930s, families packed up their belongings and walked to California in search of a better life in what is known as the Dust Bowl migration.
4. The small towns. Friendly locals, great food, comfortable modest accommodation – small town America is the best.
5. The quirky. Make a lost and cross off all the crazy things you can see along the way, including the Largest Rocking Chair, the Blue Whale of Catoosa and the Gemini Giant.
6. Classic cars. All the way along the route you’ll find classic cars in most towns, and if you love that idea - a stop at the Route 66 Auto Museum is guaranteed to excite.
7. The ghost towns! There are a number of deserted towns along the way that were once popular with travellers. The introduction of the interstate changed that.
8. Its haunted. Talking about ghosts... the highway itself is said to be haunted. With an assortment of fatal accidents, scenes of violence and historic landmarks – there are bound to be a few spirits lurking (only one way to find out!)
9. The views! If you drive along the entire route, you’ll get to enjoy the best vistas of Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.
10. E|Habla Travel offers a fantastic self-drive tour that takes you right along the iconic Route 66 highway on a 15 day adventure you’ll never forget.
Contact E|Habla Luxury Travel Agency on 1800 990 998 for our self drive North America tours and holiday packages.
Benefit from our wealth of experience by subscribing to our FREE newsletter. Receive expert travel advice, professional reviews of must-see destinations and access to our latest deals and specials. The ultimate traveller's digest, you'll never miss a beat!